Budget Policy Whats-app

Selecting Health Insurance for Subclass 485 Visa

Most of the international students enter Australia and continue to live in the country while they either continue to study or start to work. The students coming to Australia on a subclass 500 study visa have to extend their visa once they are done with their studies. Once done, they can apply for subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa, which allows them to live, study and work in Australia temporary. Following are the eligibility criteria for subclass 485 visa.

  • 1. The candidate must have held a student visa in Australia in the last 6 months
  • 2. Must have a recent qualification in a CRICOS-registered course
  • 3. Must be younger than 50 years of age
  • 4. Must hold an eligible visa
  • 5. Must nominate one stream only. The candidate is not allowed to change visa streams after the application
  • 6. Must attach specified evidence at the time of application

Subclass 485 Temporary Graduate Visa

The subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa is granted to international students who have recently graduated from an Australian educational institution. This stream of the visa determines the duration for which the applicant can stay in Australia. Three different streams of this visa are, namely:

  • 1. Graduate Work Visa
  • 2. Post-Study Work Visa
  • 3. Second Post-Study Work Visa

Once the candidate is granted the subclass 485 Visa Health Insurance, the Australian Government requires them to maintain adequate health insurance for themselves and their family (if accompanying along). The candidate(s) need to maintain their health insurance for the entirety of their stay in Australia. As mentioned above, the 485 Temporary Graduate Visa lets international students live, study and work in Australia temporarily, they can’t be a burden to the public healthcare system (Medicare) of the country; this is the reason they need to address their healthcare issues through the private healthcare channel using their health insurance cover.

As the candidates on subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa are in the country on a temporary basis, they are considered as a visitor and need to have a valid OVHC, i.e., Overseas Visitor Health Cover, for the entirety of their stay in Australia.

Depending upon the number of members in the family, the candidate can have a policy for single, couple or family. A policy for single will provide cover only for the primary visa holder only and will not cover any dependents, spouse or children. The policyholder will need to update the policy if their situation changes. On the other hand, a dual-family policy or an OVHC for couples will provide cover for the primary visa holder and either one adult spouse or de facto partner or one or more children under the age of 18 years old. Furthermore, the family policy will cover the primary visa holder, one adult spouse or de facto partner and one or more dependent children under the age of 18 years.

Budget Policy is one of the most renowned and trusted OVHC intermediaries in Australia. The company offers huge discounts on health cover policies from different providers. In case you are looking for affordable OVHC for your subclass 485 visa, look no further. Budget Policy lets you compare policies from different providers along with their prices and features. For all your OSHC and OVHC needs, please feel free to get in touch with Budget Policy.


Help to Choose Start Date ()

Start Date
  • For offshore students, policy start date must be at least 8 DAYS PRIOR TO THE COURSE START DATE.
  • If you are switching from another OSHC provider, choose the start date as very next day of previous OSHC expiry date. In order to keep your visa valid, you must be covered for OSHC continuously without any gap.

Help to Choose End Date ()

End Date
  • Insurance policy end date must be at least 2 MONTHS after the COE END DATE.
  • If the course is ending in November or December, choose OSHC end date as 15TH MARCH OF the next year.