Things to Know About Temporary Graduate visa - Subclass 485
The Temporary Graduate
Visa (subclass 485) is for international students who graduated from an Australian
educational institution; it allows the student to study, work and live in
Australia temporarily after completing the studies.
International students can apply for this visa after graduation to pursue their careers in Australia and live temporarily for up to 24 months.
For this 485 visa, the international student must obtain Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) policy before processing their visa application. The OVHC policy will provide coverage for hospital and medical expenses while staying in Australia.
Some of the primary benefits of OVHC include doctor visits, some hospital treatments, ambulance services, and medications. The Government of Australia mandates international students/visitors to maintain their health insurance. If someone does not buy health insurance, they may be unable to process their visa applications.
Types of streams under 485 visas are as follows.
- Graduate Work Stream — Those who have graduated with qualifications/skills relevant to a specific occupation needs in Australia.
- Post-Study Work Stream — Those who have graduated with a degree from an Australian educational institution.
- Second Post-Study Work Stream — Those who have graduated from an Australian educational institution located in the regional area.
- Replacement Stream — Current and former 485 visa holders who lost their time due to COVID-19 restrictions may apply under this stream.
The student can purchase an OVHC policy from any health insurance provider, but they must search for many providers and then buy the policy. It is crucial to 485 health insurance compare and purchase from the health insurance provider.
There are many health insurance providers in the market, but choosing the suitable one will be better. Many companies provide extra benefits with primary benefits under some conditions and help the buyer to select the most suitable one according to profile.
485 Visa Requirements
The students must fulfil the requirements before applying for the 485 visas; the requirements are as follows.
- Must be transitioning from a subclass 500 visa in the past six months.
- Must have adequate health insurance during the entire stay in Australia.
- Must be graduated from CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Course for Overseas Students) registered doctorate/masters degree.
- Must be below the age of 50.
- Proof of English language proficiency test.
- Must be enrolled in the approved course for 2 years/92 weeks.
- Must apply for a 485 visa before 6 months of course completion.
- The Immigration Department of Australia requires the character and health certificate of the student.
- Must have an occupation listed on SOL for work or post-study stream.
- The approved course must complete within 16 months and have English as the instruction language.
- Take accreditation from industry bodies that are associated with skills and qualifications.
Does OSHC policy support 485 visa applications?
International students holding student visas are already covered under OSHC policy as per the requirements. However, students must obtain the OVHC policy after their student visa expires and buy 485 insurance (OVHC) before applying for the 485 visas.
Anyone can buy the OVHC policy from any health insurance provider, but it is essential to do some research before purchasing the policy through the health insurance provider. As we know, a third-party company named Budget Policy; is one of the most trusted companies in Australia. Their team assists people in buying health insurance and let them choose the policy according to themselves at affordable prices. Feel free to contact them.
Go through some of the most useful blog-posts that will help you prepare better for your stay in Australia