Why do you need Overseas Visitor Health Insurance for Australian Visa?
The Overseas Visitors Health Cover or OVHC policy is mandatory coverage for people visiting Australia. Without access to this policy, visitors will have to cover hospital and medical expenses on their own.
Overseas visitor health cover is a private health insurance policy for people holding international visitor visas and who have temporarily visited Australia for traveling purposes. Now imagine you get ill or were injured and need immediate medical attention. Australian medical treatments are quite expensive and normal people, especially the ones visiting the country cannot easily afford them.
This is when OVHC helps international visitors to cover their medical and hospital expenses. It is a mandatory policy for international visitors to buy before their arrival in the country. In addition, if you have not purchased the policy and submitted it along with your visa, you can expect to get it refused.
The Department of Home Affairs has made it mandatory to buy OVHC therefore; one needs to get it as part of their visa application.
What is OVHC Policy?
The Overseas Visitor Health Cover or OVHC policy helps the visitor by covering hospital and medical expenses during the time he is injured, mishap, or ill. , etc. for their time in Australia.
What are the Benefits of the OVHC Policy?
A few general yet important benefits of the OVHC policy are as follows:
• Doctor visits.
• Emergency ambulance services.
• Hospital treatments.
• Prescribed medication.
Some of the extra benefits include physiotherapy, optical and dental treatments. However, the person needs to pay an additional amount to avail of these extra benefits.
Who will be covered by OVHC?
To get the coverage by OVHC, you must:
• Hold a valid passport whereas, you are ineligible if holding an Australian passport
• Hold a valid holiday and work visa
• Not be a member of the Australian Medicare system
• Be below the age of 70 years to be eligible for the OVHC policy
Who are the Top OVHC Health Insurance Providers?
When it comes to buying health insurance, you will obviously look for someone who has an excellent presence in the market with extensive knowledge and experience in this field. Finding someone who is not only an expert in his work but also provides policy at an affordable price with maximum benefits can be overwhelming.
Why worry when Budget Policy is there at your service? Budget Policy is associated with Australia’s popular healthcare providers. They provide OVHC policy at the best price across Australia as well as high quality and satisfactory services to its clients.
You can find health insurance for all kinds of Australian visas under one roof. Enlisted are popular health insurance policy providers to buy OVHC from:
• BUPA – Based in the United Kingdom, BUPA is an international healthcare company providing health insurance to its clients since 1947.
• NIB – Formerly known as Newcastle Industrial Benefits, NIB is among Australia's largest health insurance providers for overseas visitor health coverage. The company is operating since 1952.
• Medibank – Originated in 1976, Medibank is one of Australia's top private health insurance providers. It is the most trusted and commonly used healthcare provider.
Who is Not Required to Buy OVHC and Why?
There are a few countries whose visitors are not mandated to buy an OVHC policy to travel to Australia. The reason is that the Australian Government has made a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with a few governments of some countries. To name them, we have Belgium, Norway, Slovenia, Sweden, Finland, Italy, Malta, New Zealand, the Netherlands, the Republic of Ireland, and the United Kingdom.
Things to Consider
Now that you have made up your mind about buying the OVHC policy, you need to keep in mind a few essential things. Now you may ask what those essential things are. Keep on reading:
• Look for only top health insurance providers.
• Compare your OVHC policy with different providers.
• Try availing of extra benefits.
• Read the claims carefully.
• Understand your policy and the benefits it is covering thoroughly.
• Avoid going for the cheapest insurance providers as ‘cheap’ does not mean best always.
• Policy transferring from one insurance provider to another is possible.
Budget Policy comes among Australia's top OVHC policy providers. Learn more about health insurance in Australia with Budget Policy. Send us a quote and our experts will reach you with answers to your queries.